Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Earth Day!

So I have never used the blog as a soapbox, but in honor of Earth Day I am going to share my two cents on a few environmental issues. Dave and I have always been environmentally concious, but since having Will I really feel like I have a purpose behind our actions. I want there to be beautiful parks for him to hike or sketch in and rivers to float down with his friends. So will you please read and forgive me for not having pictures this one time?

Aside from the basic recycling, we have been using the reuable grocery sacks for some time. You know them, you see them in the grocery store. They only cost a dollar so go ahead and get some the next time you're there.



Did you know that Ireland enacted a tax on all plastic bags in 2002 and since then their plastic bag consumption has gone down 95%?! Think about that! The bags have a $0.22 tax on consumers per bag. The money from this tax goes towards a "green fund" that is used to benefit the environment.

I also started making my own household cleaners. I was very concerned about the health effects common household cleaners have on children. I am also a bit of a germ-a-phob so I knew I needed to find a solution to solve both problems. I did some research and found this recipe which can be used on all household surfaces.

2 cups
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp castile soap
3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
20 drops of tea tree oil

I had to do a little leg work to find the castile soap and tea tree oil. I had to drive to a natural foods store in Fayetteville and I about cried when I saw the price tag on those items! However, I bought those items almost exactly a year ago and I have barely made a dent in the huge bottles I bought. I figure I can use them for the next 10 years so in the end I'm sure I'm saving money, too.

I also make a streak free glass cleaner. Here is that recipe:

3 T white vinegar
1/3 teaspoon castile soap
2 cups water

Dave started organic gardening last year, too. He makes a compost pile using yard waste and he grows tomatoes, strawberries, blackberries, and bunches of herbs which he uses in his cooking nightly. We also strive to support our local farmers by buying local fruits and vegetables. We also buy meats from the USA. Can you believe some meats are shipped in from Mexico?!?

Ok... thanks for reading until then end. If you're not already making some strides to help the environment I urge you to do so. After all, everything we do today affects our next generation.

1 comment:

Laner said...

As a fun side note, I found this little handy thing today which tells you what fruits and veggies have the least and most pesticides:


When I was pregnant, I really got into staying away from pesticides. And now that I make my own babyfood, it's even more important.