Sunday, December 9, 2012

Elliette's Birth Story

I had been going to my regularly scheduled doctor checkups every Monday since I was 36 weeks pregnant. Each week I was hopeful that there would be "progress" and that I would deliver early. For several checks there was nothing. Nothing! There is not anything more disappointing when you're so close to hear "well you're not having a baby this week!" I love my doctor. She was awesome through the whole thing, and I could tell she truly wanted things to progress for me and also to be here for the delivery. There was a chance she wouldn't be. She was going to be out of town November 30-December 3. When I went for my appointment on Monday, November 26 there was no change from the week before (I had been sitting at 3cm. dilation). I bet my face fell lower than ever before. She was going to leave town and not be here for my delivery, or I would have to wait until our scheduled C-section date of December 4. I truly did not want a December birthday for my little girl. My mother and brother have December birthdays and have always hated them. My doctor could see my disappointment and that I was holding back tears. "Why don't you come back on Wednesday?" she said. "I leave town on Thursday and we can check everything again and make a really good decision before I leave." I agreed that sounded like a reasonable plan and like a tiny glimmer of hope. For the next two days instead of being excited I felt blue. I just knew that it was going to be December 4 before I would meet this baby. As I drove to my Wednesday appointment I called Dave and he asked how I felt and I told him I felt as I was about to be disappointed. When I got back to the exam room the nurse was taking my blood pressure and Dr. Sills popped her head in and told her to hook me up to the monitors. She wanted to check for any contractions and also monitor the baby's heart rate for 20 minutes. I was grateful she was going to do a thorough check, although I was still preparing to hear the worst. I took this picture and video while I was lying on the table with the monitors on.
I was only hooked up for about 8 minutes before Dr. Sills came in to check the readings. Turns out I was contracting. And Elliette's heart rate was dropping a little with each one. And to seal the deal, I had dilated to almost a 4. "Well," she said slowly grinning. "I am going to call over to the hospital and request a 5pm surgery time for you." Wh-wh-what?!? It was 3:30 already! Wow! It was exactly what I wanted to hear, but all of a sudden it became REAL. And it was going to happen SOON. So I left the office and stood in the lobby and started making phone calls. Dave was in a meeting but knew to answer his phone. I told him to forget the hospital bag sitting in our bedroom and to just meet me at the hospital. (It was right next door to my doctor's office so no sense in me leaving and going home for it.) I also called my parents and told them to head south, and my mother in law to go pick up Will from school! All systems go. I walked into the hospital by myself (a very, very odd feeling!) and walked into registration. I had pre-registered online but this darling hospital had no record of that (not the first time this hospital has proved to be a pain for us). I sat through a tedious check in with a disorganized lady while texting my principal, long-term sub, and various friends and family. When I finally got checked in Dave met up with me and we rode up to the labor and delivery floor.
After that things happened very quickly. I had two nurses telling me to get dressed in a hospital gown and after they started an IV and peppered me with a thousand medical questions. It was about 5:35 when the OR was finally ready and they asked if I wanted to walk or be wheeled down. I opted to walk and we dropped Dave off in a locker room to don some scrubs while I got prepped for surgery.
My spinal went very smoothly and after that the sheet went in front of my face and I have no idea what happened for the next few minutes. My anesthesiologist, Holly, was very kind and talked to me a lot. After what seemed like forever they let Dave in and it wasn't but moments later when I felt a ton of pressure on my chest followed by Elliette's cry.
I cried listening to her as she was cleaned and wrapped. A nurse asked for Dave's phone to take some photos for us.
After that Dave took her to the nursery for tests and who knows what while I finished up in surgery and recovery.
After things had settled down we had some time to just love on her. And love her we did. Immensely.
Read to go home on Friday, November 30:
Settling into life at home:
Being loved by all who love her:
I have lots and lots and LOTS more pictures to share from our first week home. I'll try and get them on here soon!

No comments: